37.8 cm x 28.25 cm (14 7/8 in. x 11 1/8 in.)
(Coyoácan, Mexico, 1906 - 1992, Mexico City)
Latin America, Mexican
Medium and Support:
Blanton Museum of Art, The University of Texas at Austin, University Purchase, 1966; Transfer from the Harry Ransom Center, 1982
Everardo Ramírez studied at one of the Escuelas de Pintura al Aire Libre [Open Air Painting Schools], which were founded in Mexico in the 1920s to break away from academic training in favor of more innovative teaching methods. He was a founding member of the Taller de Gráfica Popular [People’s Graphic Workshop] and was also affiliated with the Liga de Escritores y Artistas Revolucionarios [League of Revolutionary Writers and Artists]. Inspired by his rural upbringing, Ramírez focused the subject matter of his prints on the rural workers who bettered society by making bricks, doing construction, cutting stone, and growing crops.